You’ve worked hard, taken all the steps here and your Instagram following is growing! Yay you!
But then you notice that your numbers ebb and flow. You show 5 new follows in your activity, but only 2 additional total followers. What gives?
If you’re doing things the right way and gaining followers using the advice I gave here, then there’s only a few reasons followers leave:
- They were a fake account and Instagram has removed them
- They were only interested in a follow for follow situation and you didn’t follow them back soon enough
- They don’t follow the rules like you do and only followed you to gain followers, so even if you did follow them they unfollowed you. VERY tacky and frowned upon by all of the Instagram community
Reason #1 you can do nothing about. Fake accounts are removed all the time.
Reasons #2 and #3 you can, however. If you’ve worked hard to ensure that you are only being followed by people genuinely interested in your theme then you can rest assured that you might be able to save some of those who left you. And punish those who used you.
ENTER THE UNFOLLOWER APPS
The one I use is called NonFollowers. I have an iPhone and searched the words “Unfollow for Instagram” to find it. It’s the 6th one down, at the moment, and looks like this:
ONCE YOU’VE GOT IT, HOW DO YOU USE IT?
There are two tabs.
- THE FIRST shows ALL of the people whom you follow, but don’t follow you.
- I wouldn’t necessarily recommend removing through this list unless you genuinely don’t want to be following a ton of people.
- THE SECOND is your new best friend. EVERYONE who follows you and then unfollows you will show up here. YES!
- Some will be people you never followed. You will know that because there’s no little red circle to unfollow them. These folks can be saved. If you tap on their picture it’ll take you to their Instagram. Like a few of their pics, follow them, comment on something. Give it a couple of days and you’ll likely see they’re back on your followers list.
- The rest you’ll see the red circle of death. This means that they followed you, you followed them, then they unfollowed you! RUUUUUUUUUDE. Happily tap that little red circle and remove yourself as their follower. I’ve DMd a few people to ask why they would follow then unfollow. I’ve yet to get a response. It always feels good to know that these cheaters are out of your life.